Anthems: Wir ermitteln unsere RUSH All Time Top 20!!

11. The Trees (48 Punkte, 8 Nennungen)
(Hemispheres, 1978)

“In ‘The Trees,’ the maples think that the oaks have too much light, so the maples organize and move to cast off the oak tyranny. The result is that the trees are all made equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. Lyrically, the song’s a piece of doggerel. I certainly wouldn’t be proud of that. What I would be proud of is taking a pure idea and creating an image for it. I was very proud of what I achieved in that sense. . . . I wrote ‘The Trees’ in about five minutes. It’s simple rhyming and phrasing, but it illustrates a point so clearly. I wish I could do that all the time. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought, ‘What if trees acted like people?’ So, I saw it as a cartoon, really, and wrote it that way.” (Neal Peart)

(Hemispheres, 1978)

“In ‘The Trees,’ the maples think that the oaks have too much light, so the maples organize and move to cast off the oak tyranny. The result is that the trees are all made equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. Lyrically, the song’s a piece of doggerel. I certainly wouldn’t be proud of that. What I would be proud of is taking a pure idea and creating an image for it. I was very proud of what I achieved in that sense. . . . I wrote ‘The Trees’ in about five minutes. It’s simple rhyming and phrasing, but it illustrates a point so clearly. I wish I could do that all the time. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought, ‘What if trees acted like people?’ So, I saw it as a cartoon, really, and wrote it that way.” (Neal Peart)

Exakter Treffer! The Trees ist auch bei mir auf Platz 11 (kann ja jeder behaupten ;) ) und wäre an anderen Tagen wahrscheinlich in den Top 10 gelandet.

(Hemispheres, 1978)

ich mag es kaum schon wieder schreiben: aber auch diese echte Großtat hat es nicht in meine Top-10 geschafft. Aber im Gegensatz zur wirklich langen Liste an Songs, die es würdig wären, habe ich bei den Bäumen und auch "Witch Hunt" (sowie einigen anderen) wirklich bis ganz um Schluss hin- und herüberlegt, und bereue es auch ein bisschen, ihn nicht genannt zu haben. Ein toller Song mit unglaublich geilen 70er-Vibes, coolen Percussion-Sachen, gefühlvollen Wendungen, prima Synthies, viel zu kurzem Solo und grandiosem Finale. Dazu der mysteriöse Text. Und ich bin ziemlich überzeugt, dass er von den Separatisten-Bewegungen der Franko-Kanadier handelt. Das passt auch genau in die Entstehungszeit. Jedenfalls 70er-Rush at their best!

verdammt, ich habe mir so lange Zeit gelassen mit der Top-10, versucht alles durchzuhören und, bis auf paar eh gesetzte, in Ruhe abzuwägen. Meine Listen wären, wenn sie nicht in Dateiform gemacht wurden, ein wahres Kritzelkratzel, wie das Panzerspiel in der Schule, um den drögen Unterricht rumzukriegen. Andauernd wieder was verschoben, rausgenommen, hinzugefügt, copy and paste galore. Mittlerweile habe ich bei einigen Songs echt ein bisserl schlechtes Gewissen, dass sie nicht drin sind, weil ich sie seit Langem sehr liebe. Aber, im Endeffekt kann ich auch voll und ganz hinter meiner Liste stehen.
Anregung: entweder wenn alle Plätze genannt wurden, oder kurz vor der Top-3 oder so, könnte man ja noch die Honorable Mentions der übrig gebliebenen Songs von uns, die es nicht geschafft haben, samt Nennungen und Punkte aufführen! Oder wäre das ein arger Zeitstress?

47412798nm.jpg

10. La Villa Strangiato (54 Punkte, 10 Nennungen)
(Hemispheres, 1978)

“We wrote this one on the road. Despite being an instrumental, the song tells a complete story, complete with plot and characters. It's based on some nightmares I experienced. We used our soundchecks to run through songs that we were going to record; then, when we would have a few days off we’d start recording. We felt it was a song that needed the feeling of spontaneity to make it work, so we spent over a week learning it before we recorded. ‘La Villa Strangiato’ has two parts that were each recorded in one take, with all of us in the same room. We had baffles up around the guitar, bass, and drums, and we would look at each other for the cues. My solo in the middle section was overdubbed after we recorded the basic tracks. I played a solo while we did the first take and rerecorded it later. If you listen very carefully, you can hear the other solo ghosted in the background. That was a fun exercise in developing a lot of different sections in an instrumental. It gave everyone the chance to stretch out. By that time I had my Gibson ES-355, and my acoustics were a Gibson Dove, J-55, and a B-45 12-string. Plus I had my Marshall in the studio. I had the Twin and two Hiwatts, which I was also using live, but the Marshall was my real workhorse. The Boss Chorus unit had just come out at that time, but I think I used a Roland JC-120 for the chorus sound here. After we were finished, none of us thought we’d ever be able to play it again. But now I can do it while watching TV. I always enjoy playing that solo. I like the changes and it’s a very emotive, bluesy kind of solo. It stays the same every night. The band is in the background, modulating between two notes, and it gives me a chance to wail. We spent more time recording 'La Villa Strangiato' than the entire "Fly By Night" album. It was our first piece without any vocals at all, so each section had to stand up with a theme and musical structure of its own.” (Alex Lifeson)

Letztens noch mal angehört um zu testen, ob er mir jetzt was gibt. Objektiv ist das natürlich ein musikalischer Geniestreich, aber emotional bleibe ich wie auch bei YYZ recht unberührt.

(Hemispheres, 1978)

“We wrote this one on the road. Despite being an instrumental, the song tells a complete story, complete with plot and characters. It's based on some nightmares I experienced. We used our soundchecks to run through songs that we were going to record; then, when we would have a few days off we’d start recording. We felt it was a song that needed the feeling of spontaneity to make it work, so we spent over a week learning it before we recorded. ‘La Villa Strangiato’ has two parts that were each recorded in one take, with all of us in the same room. We had baffles up around the guitar, bass, and drums, and we would look at each other for the cues. My solo in the middle section was overdubbed after we recorded the basic tracks. I played a solo while we did the first take and rerecorded it later. If you listen very carefully, you can hear the other solo ghosted in the background. That was a fun exercise in developing a lot of different sections in an instrumental. It gave everyone the chance to stretch out. By that time I had my Gibson ES-355, and my acoustics were a Gibson Dove, J-55, and a B-45 12-string. Plus I had my Marshall in the studio. I had the Twin and two Hiwatts, which I was also using live, but the Marshall was my real workhorse. The Boss Chorus unit had just come out at that time, but I think I used a Roland JC-120 for the chorus sound here. After we were finished, none of us thought we’d ever be able to play it again. But now I can do it while watching TV. I always enjoy playing that solo. I like the changes and it’s a very emotive, bluesy kind of solo. It stays the same every night. The band is in the background, modulating between two notes, and it gives me a chance to wail. We spent more time recording 'La Villa Strangiato' than the entire "Fly By Night" album. It was our first piece without any vocals at all, so each section had to stand up with a theme and musical structure of its own.” (Alex Lifeson)

Exakter Treffer! La Villa Strangiato ist auch bei mir auf Platz 10 (diesmal kann ich's beweisen!) und ist natürlich das beste Instrumental von Rush (wenn nicht überhaupt).

(Hemispheres, 1978)

Das ist mein Lieblings-Instrumental aller Zeiten und war folgerichtig auf Platz 3 in meiner Liste. Ein Wahnsinn was da alles passiert ohne daß der rote Faden verloren geht.

Zurück
Oben Unten