Anthems: Wir ermitteln unsere RUSH All Time Top 20!!

8. The Spirit Of Radio (61 Punkte, 11 Nennungen)
(Permanent Waves, 1980)
Wunderbar! Platz 8 in meiner Liste und mein vierter Treffer in diesem Spiel. Für mich ist "The Spirit Of Radio" der "hittigste" aller Rush-Hits. Eine romantische Ode an den Zauber des Radios, früher natürlich viel wichtiger als im medialen Overkill der Jetztzeit. Da ich selbst 15 Jahre Radio gemacht habe, musste ich den Song quasi wählen ... :D

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

07. Xanadu (65 Punkte, 12 Nennungen)
(A Farewell To Kings, 1977)

"This song was originally going to be about the Orson Welles movie Citizen Kane, which opens with a line from Kubla Khan, but when I started looking up background information on the Coleridge poem, I became more interested in the poem and reoriented the song in that direction. In the end, there was entirely too much ‘honey dew’ in it—too much Coleridge, that is to say—and though musically the song was one of our earliest big ‘epics,’ I never cared much for the lyrics. But more or less against my will, I found the song being taken over by the poem, in a way that has never happened before or since. For that reason, the finished song has never been my favorite piece of work, lyrically––too derivative––but it made a good musical vehicle for one of our first ‘extended works.’ Also, it was portentous that I added the ‘adventure travel’ aspect to the song’s story way back then - "I scaled the frozen mountaintops of eastern lands unknown/ Time and man alone/ Searching for the lost Xanadu" - before I’d ever traveled farther than the arenas and rock clubs of North America." (Neal Peart)

"Me and Alex both play double-necks on the piece. 'Xanadu' is the song that we really both used them in. I used mine just so I could go back and play a couple of guitar bits. Because I used to play rhythm guitar in the middle section. My double-neck was heralded at the time as the first double-neck Rickenbacker, constructed in Los Angeles specifically for me. Neil bulked up as well, using keyboard percussion and a whole array of tubular bells and chimes." (Geddy Lee)

juhuuuu, endlich mal wieder einer von meiner Liste!! Und zwar auf der Nummer 5! Für mich ist der Song eines der Beispiele, warum die 70er-Rush Gott sind. Das ist Rush pur, und "Hemispheres" darf sich gerne mit "2112" um Platz 1 der 70er-Sachen streiten. Der liebliche, verspielte, gefühlt ewige Anfang, mit den schönen Glockenschlägen, bis es dann in dieses fantastische Riff übergeht. Prominente, aber nicht die Gitarre dominierende Synthies, immer wieder tolle Drum-Fills. Erst nach 5 Minuten kommt der Gesang, und wenn es dann plötzlich schnell wird, dieses Riff ist so genial. Dieser göttliche Refrain mit seinem langgezogenen "Xa-na-duuuuu" und der Part danach, Wahnsinn. Es kommen so viele Auf's- und Ab's, eine bildliche Abenteuerreise, am besten unter Kopfhörern und voll Bilder im Kopf genießen. Auch das Video, wo Alex und und Geddy mit ihren Doublenecks abgehen, 70er Bombast pur. Für mich ihr stärkstes, bzw. mein liebstes Rush-Epos!

Da ist er! Einen Tag nach Abgabe meiner Liste bemerkte ich, dass ich Xanadu im Eifer des Gefechts schlicht vergessen hatte. Aaaargh!
Einfach ein unglaubliches Stück Musik, und seitdem ich im Classic Rock Sonderheft erfuhr, dass dieses Monster seinerzeit in einem einzigen Take live im Studio aufgenommen wurde, hat mein Respekt gegenüber dieser Band nochmals einen gehörigen Schub bekommen.
Einfach nur der Wahnsinn in Tüten!

47453300go.jpg

Granaten-Song. Damit hätte ich insgesamt 5 meiner 10 liebsten Songs in der Top 20 untergebracht. Falls am Ende alle "meine" 10 Songs auch in der Top 20 währen, spräche das eher für oder gegen mich? :D
Mehr kann ich nicht sagen, ich hör lieber noch ein bisschen Rush :jubel:

Von meiner Liste tauchen bisher auch 5 Songs in den 15 platzierten Stücken auf. Bei Spirit of radio (meine #3) finde ich besonders den Anfang so überragend stark bis dieses treibende Hauptriff den Song dann nach vorne zu drücken beginnt. Der hier kritisierte Reggae-Teil fällt für mich kaum ins Gewicht und ist ein netter Fabrtupfer. In Kombination mit Freewill bildet der Song ein phantastisches Doppel zum Auftakt meines vielleicht liebsten Rushalbums.

Bei Xanadu (meine #9) schließe ich mich den Ausführungen von @Fallen Idol 666 vollumfänglich an. Ein Granatenepos - speziell auch in der Liveversion von Different Stages.

06. Tom Sawyer (86 Punkte, 14 Nennungen)
(Moving Pictures, 1981)

"'Tom Sawyer' was in many ways the most difficult song to record for "Moving Pictures". I remember even though the writing of the song came together pretty quickly, putting it down on tape was a little difficult. We were trying different sounds, and going with a whole different approach to lyrics, getting the right sound for Alex’s guitar, and so on. It was kind of a dark horse. And then in the mixing, it all came together. When we finished it, we were so pleased with what happened, because we kind of had the least expectations of it, because of the difficulty we had with it. I think a lot of musicians probably go through a similar thing, where they have this one song that they beat themselves up over, and then the next thing you know, it’s their biggest song.
“Pye Dubois from Max Webster is an excellent lyricist. His original lyrics for the song were some kind of portrait of a modern day rebel, a free-spirited individualist striding through the world wide-eyed and purposeful. I added the themes of reconciling the boy and the man in myself and the difference between what people are and what others perceive them to be. There are parts that I don’t necessarily understand, but I like the arrogance implied. But it’s a mistaken arrogance. There are . . . little games you’re expected to play that 'Tom Sawyer' and I don’t have time for. The instrumental section grew from a little melody that Geddy had been using to set up his synthesizers at sound checks. I’m playing full strength through the entire song and it took about a day and a half to record. I remember collapsing afterwards with raw, red aching hands. I had been playing the bass drum so hard that my toes were all mashed together and very sore. Physically, this was certainly the most difficult track, and even now it takes as much energy to play properly as my solo.” (Neal Peart)

Zurück
Oben Unten